Monday 2 June 2014

My bread and butter

     Welcome again! This is my second to last blog entry and I’ve decided to simply take this opportunity to discuss audio in general. There won’t be any recording devices discussed today. My goal is to make audiophiles out of at least a few of my readers.


     An audiophile is someone who absolutely enjoys listening to only the highest quality audio available, using high quality speakers and an expensive pre-amp. Now although the setup I have is nowhere near high quality, I still consider myself an audiophile because if I had the money I would definitely go all out. Many people are contented to listen to decent to low quality audio, whether it be from music or videos. I know I mentioned this in one of my earlier posts but it’s worth mentioning again. The difference good quality makes over bad quality is so explicit that a well-trained ear can easily hear this difference. I cringe when I think of all the people who are subjecting their ears to awful audio. My passion for audio is literally that strong.


     If you still don’t think the difference is worth the added effort of acquiring good audio, I propose a challenge. If you have iTunes, find a low quality audio file, anything under 200kbps should work. Listen to that song and then find the same song on YouTube. Make sure it’s a relatively recent song so that the YouTube video’s audio quality is high. Automatically you should be able to hear a difference between the video and the bad iTunes song. The clarity will be much better on the video. If you guys have any questions feel free to post them in the comments section and I’ll try helping out. Hopefully this post will convince you guys that quality makes a difference. Bye!!





http://www.ultimaguitar.com/Aric3[1].6_1.jpg
http://www.mydancesource.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Audio-Equipment-2.jpg






(In the event of a mistake, please inform me)

7 comments:

  1. I definitely consider myself an audiophile. I have this thing where if I hear music playing from any ordinary speaker, I just don’t want to hear anymore. It even makes the best music sound terrible. I went to an audio home theater store with Hussein the other day and found one of the best speakers that I ever heard. It costs 10,000$ but in the future, I’m getting that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've definitely got that same passion for quality, Moussa. I can't wait to (hopefully) be able to afford top notch audio equipment in the future. The added price is totally worth it and I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say that our ears deserve the best. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I had no idea that these sort of people had a name for themselves. Now that I know what an audiophile is, you most definitely are one. I can see myself being one as well, but like you said money is a big factor in supporting such a lifestyle. Money of which neither of us have... People just don't seem to realize that the quality of the music they are listening to or the speakers that it's coming out of really matter if you want to have the best experience possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this is just amazing I never really knew a lot about music and audio, but thanks to all you blog posts I have learnt many new things, and I hope that you never stop posting. I find moussa comment funny because each time I show moussa a song off my headphones he doesn't even bother listening to it because he hates my earphones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As opposed to your passion being metaphorically that strong? I disagree with the recommended audio test you included. I think that along with being stupid in general and most likely tone deaf, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between YouTube audio at roughly 320kbps and something at 200kbps, you'd have to make them listen to an old YouTube video in 240p compared to something at 480p or higher in order to better demonstrate the difference in quality. Playing an MP3 file loudly a loud speaker system compared to a CD would also work.

    ReplyDelete