Thursday 29 May 2014

Contraband and such

     If I told you to roll up music, would you be able to? In the past literally rolling up music was something that was done quite often to smuggle music during the forties and fifties in Russia. When the Soviets were in power they tried oppressing the Russian people by taking away all that was fun, which included music. The solution to this problem was actually incredibly clever; anyone who didn’t mind risking their job or schooling for a music fix would steal, or find someone to steal, X-Ray sheets from hospitals. Records would then be pressed into them using old refurbished presses. This method produced very low quality music but at least it worked. Also, the records could be rolled up and hid into ones sleeve, stumping the law officials. 

     This dedication to music is something that really illustrates just how important music is to many people. I for one hardly go one day without listening to music for at least an hour. This is entering a completely different domain in the whole music thing so I’ll get back to music playing and recording devices. 

     
Other than illegal music reproduction in Russia I can’t really think of other instances of contraband involving music production. There are obviously the cases of teens rebelling against their parents by listening to explicit music such as the Eminem and/or the Kanye West but I’m sure we've all done something like that. I guess I’ll leave you guys with a little challenge. Comment a little story explaining your ingenious solution to overcoming the banning of music by parents or other people. Next blog entry will discuss my personal audio setup and then after that I’ll wrap it all up for good. Good day to you!




(In the event of a mistake, please inform me)



http://eclectix.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/8f5aa838485179d295c7db4385ab1a4c_vice_630x420.jpg

2 comments:

  1. That is actually so cool that they were able to literally roll up their music. I can't say that I would have been able to come up and execute such an idea. When it comes to rebelling against music, it definitely is something we've all done. I remember I was 12 years old and my mother wouldn't let me buy the Beastie Boys album because it was "too vulgar" so I just asked my dad and he got it for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is honestly incredible, and very smart, I would've never thought of something even close to that. Anyways good job Joey this was actually very interesting, and I learnt a lot about the past and music which pretty cool. You did pretty good joey, I cant wat for you're next blog post, they are just so interesting and filled with awesome facts. See you later.

    ReplyDelete